Saturday, January 9, 2010

Again, Tim Minchin

Tim Minchin is one of my favorite people in all the world. He has a mischievous, charming manner about him and he is as cute as can be. Cute in a way one of my children would have been if I had children. He's funny and witty that is disarming without being offensive. The skeptical and humanist movement is benefiting greatly from his involvement as an entertainment figure.

In this clip he is discussing evolution. Here in the US evolution is not accepted by 50% or more of our population. I find this appalling but a Christian friend of mine says that these people who don't accept the facts behind evolution are entitled to their "beliefs." It's true, we have freedoms here. These freedoms allow us to believe all kinds of things from astrology to zombies without any proof whatsoever. We can live our lives in accordance to these beliefs and feel safe that we can legally fight to keep these beliefs even if they kill us. My friend thinks it's moral to not criticize people for believing in things that are wrong and are harmful and could potentially kill. She would also think it's wrong to make fun of these people. I disagree and I like the way Tim does it.

3 comments:

Nicholas said...

I don't know hm. Very funny man. Is he Australian?

The Super Sweet Atheist said...

Born in England, raised in Australia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Minchin

Check out his videos on YouTube! Worth every minute.

southern horizons3 said...

Excellent choice Summer Squirrel, I like your tastes; a great musical entertainer with lyrics that are fun yet have an important meaning. Critical thinking is a must in this age where many are clouded in the fog of the supernatural. Have you heard Kate Miller-Heidke sing Tim's 'White Wine in the Sun?'