Thursday, September 18, 2008

Guardian Angels

Do you believe in guardian angels? Do you think a dead relative hovers over you to protect you from harm? Do you pray to this person? If you do believe in this what proof do you have that this is true, or is it wishful thinking?

According to an an article from USA Today "a new survey of the USA's religious beliefs and practices finds 55% of all adults — including one in five of those who say they have no religion — believe they have been protected from harm by a guardian angel."

What's interesting is the poll that accompanies this article where most people responding to it claim that they in fact do believe this!

Are you as dumbfounded as I am? In the 21st century in the age of computers and iPhones people still believe they have a spirit protecting them from harm. Wow.

Funny thing is we have just experienced a horrific hurricane in our area and I have been hearing stories about people being "blessed" and "watched over" by dead relatives. One neighbor revealed to me that her dead father-in-law watches over the whole family and she prays to him every night. I was speechless, which was a good thing, because responding to something as crazy as how this sounded would not have been very neighborly or positive.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it renders me speechless. But you can't argue with it. You come up against the "if you can't disprove it then it must be true" mindset.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Some people see coincidences differently. Heck, I've had a few days where everything just went too perfectly, and I thought "Maybe a god does exist." Of course, then I thought "He sure is intangible for the most powerful being in the universe." I have loved ones who believe in angels, ones that will even help you find your keys if you misplaced them. I just smile and am thankful that they aren't rabid fundies. :-)

tina FCD said...

Do you ever feel like I do and think the world has gone cuckoo???

VAMP said...

Hi SQ,

Nope, I don't believe dat shit...but alot of people like to think this for comfort I guess. It's the old "give it up to God" crap.

But y'know, I miss my Grandma whose been gone for years, and I ALMOST feel like she's in my home when I cook. And that's only because, it's a smell memory from her house. Her home was big, but the kitchen was blocked off from the rest of the house with one of those swinging doors. I could smell the food cooking and walk into the front room and there'd be a different smell. It happens when I cook and go to my kids rooms and walk in and, there it is, that smell from Grandma's house. At least it makes me think of her. It's just a cawinkeedink (coincidence). I'd really love to think she's there. But I'm a realist, I know it's not true.