Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Other thoughts

As I wrote last night I am very happy Senator Obama won the election. Unfortunately there were other elections that didn't turn out so great. One was Proposition 8 in California taking an already established right of marriage away from gay people. It is never good to take rights away especially since there was no harm being done with that right in the first place. I predict that thru a series of lawsuits to challenge this discriminatory law it will be struck down at the expense of tax payers within a few months. I am proud to say that I donated to the "Vote No on Prop 8" campaign to help my gay brothers and sisters.

I was glad to see that the Democrats did not get the 60 seats in the Senate as was hoped by some people. I think our government needs to have the ability to argue laws that the majority thinks are right.

I was glad to see Liddy Dole lose her seat to a Democrat because of her inflammatory ads suggesting her opponent is an atheist. As an atheist myself it alarmed me that atheists as a group are still being targeted for bigotry. We still have a long uphill battle ahead of us but we are making progress.

1 comment:

tina FCD said...

I came across a video of Obama, he sounds like an atheist, maybe secularist..? :) THAT would be funny.