Friday, June 20, 2008

A Meme

I got tagged by Oz Atheist:

Q1. How would you define “atheism”?
Atheism is the lack of belief in the supernatural. I say this to stop the next question which is "Does this mean you're a Satanist?" Honest, I've been asked this recently.

Q2. Was your upbringing religious? If so, what tradition?
My mother attempted to indoctrinate me into the Southern Baptist religion, South Texas variety. It didn't take at all. It was stupid even to a very young child.

Q3. How would you describe “Intelligent Design”, using only one word?
Disgusting.

Q4. What scientific endeavour really excites you?
I love astronomy and gobble anything on the web about it.

Q5. If you could change one thing about the “atheist community”, what would it be and why?
Getting them to be more enthusiastic about getting together to do something, anything.

Q6. If your child came up to you and said “I’m joining the clergy”, what would be your first response?
I have no children, but if I did I would be disappointed but I would love and support them just the same.

Q7. What’s your favourite theistic argument, and how do you usually refute it?
Pascal's Wager. I ask them how they know for sure that Christianity is the one true religion. Stumps them every time.

Q8. What’s your most “controversial” (as far as general attitudes amongst other atheists goes) viewpoint?
Comparative religion should be taught in schools by an atheist.

Q9. Of the “Four Horsemen” (Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens and Harris) who is your favourite, and why?
I love the way Hitchens crawls under everyone's flesh and flays them with big words and accurate arguments. You gotta love that British accent too!

Q10. If you could convince just one theistic person to abandon their beliefs, who would it be?
My mother. She is so blindly and blissfully ignorant that it hurts to be around her. She's been fortunate that no one has yet taken advantage of her. She's so old, so happy, and so shielded from the real world that I don't bother.

I haven't been following blogs lately so I won't tag anyone else. If you feel like commenting on any of these I'd love to hear what you have to say.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you like astronomy you might like some of the pictures at Martin's site. I got to know of this guy through work, I have one of his pictures as a 750mm wide print, framed and hung it's quite spectacular.

Godless Woman said...

I love pascals wager too. I usually just say if God is all knowing like you say he is don't you think that he would know I am bullshitting him? As far as knowing that Christianity is the one true religion check out my blog. I am in a debate with a Christian right now and she is trying to explain that very thing. Keep up the great blog, I love your writing style.

Anonymous said...

Re: Q8

I have volunteered to do this very thing but was turned down. Hm.

Karla said...

I have heard the basic Pascal's Wager and never liked it because it doesn't seems to ignore authenticity as if we can fake God out by believing something just in case. However, I recently read that the real argument as written by Pascal was not what is popularly recounted. I need to go and read some Pascal to verify this, because I, as a Christian, have never liked that argument.

As for how I know that Christianity is true check out the many blogs on my site regarding that topic.

The Super Sweet Atheist said...

Sigh. Karla, I've done so much reading and research about Christianity and other religions that I'm not interested in reading anymore. Your Christian god doesn't exist. I'm so over it!

My focus in now on atheist activism. I attend many atheist and humanist meetups here in Houston to help our cause. What is our cause? Separation of State and Church. You can have your religion, just keep it to yourselves and don't force it on us and our government.

I already know why you think your religion is true. I also know that you base those beliefs on no evidence.

"A" for effort, but already been there.....