Friday, October 17, 2008

A neighbor rejects me!

Only 18 days until Election Day! Honestly, I really wish it were over. My Republican friends have been respective of my views for the most part but yesterday one of my neighbors started a conversation with me then walked off. It was uncomfortable and weird.

A little background. I'm not a Democrat or Republican. I'm what is commonly known as an Independent. This means that I have two choices and I want to make the best choice I can. The only way to do this is research by reading different publications. The reason for this is to take out the bias. This is why I don't read or watch Fox News. They are clearly biased on the far right and cannot be trusted. The best source I have found is the BBC and news blogs. People who write their opinions on blogs usually include reference material which I check out and have found very useful. I am very careful and extremely skeptical.

My neighbor Judy who I had the confrontation with is in her late 70's. Makes no bones about being a product of the Depression and WWII. I highly respect her. She is not connected to the Internet and doesn't own a cell phone. Her only source of information is Fox News. I know this because she told me.

Yesterday I was walking the dog when I come up on Judy and Eugene (another Republican neighbor) in the street in front of my house obviously talking about the debate. I thought, "Shit, how am I going to get past this?" I promise you, I wasn't going to engage at all, just say "Good morning" and walk into my house. But as I got closer I could actually hear exactly what they were talking about so I made a comment like "So I guess you guys are talking about the debate?" How could I be so dumb? Judy says "Oh yes, but you wouldn't agree with anything we have to say." To which I answered with a smile on my face and in a happy way, "Maybe not." She then started to ask me questions to which I had factual answers. Mostly what I got from her was a lot of "You've got to be kidding!" and "You really don't believe that, do you?" and she actually suggested that I was brainwashed. Now, I've got an extremely thick skin and I wasn't bothered in the least, which she noticed, so she changed the subject to how ineffective the Democratic Congress has been these past 2 years. I said that Bush has so much power that he's handcuffed the Congress and I think I also mentioned Dick Cheney and his seemingly unlimited power. That's when she stated she couldn't talk to me anymore and walked off. I thought, that's odd, getting upset about that subject.

I haven't seen her yet but I will guess that she'll continue to be neighborly and talk to me about the weather and such. Yes, I wish the election was over!

1 comment:

tina FCD said...

Not very neighborly if you ask me.

On another note. I started going to the gym with my sister, it was free, what the heck.
She's a religious republican.....it should get interesting. :)