Sunday, December 7, 2008

Death in the family

Since I'm the bad guy in the family they may not be sending current information to me so this distant family member may not be dead. Seems he had a stroke and was off the ventilator in transit to a hospital too long and may be brain dead. This is all I know so far.

The emails for prayers and the emails stating said prayers are coming fast and furious. I've remained silent in the recent past because I feel the family doesn't like being reminded they have an infidel in their mists. It's been tiresome to me to interject myself into their fantasy lives so I've back off.

But this time I felt strongly that this very religious family needs to know that even atheists can feel sadness and empathy. After much thought I sent this message to the suffering family this morning:
Dear family,

As you know, I am an atheist. That being said, like all the others, my heart aches for you and your family and I have no words to express the sadness I feel for you during this time. If I was a true believer I would be praying for you and for George with all my heart and soul. Since I am not the only thing I can offer at this great distance is letting you know that my thoughts are with your family and I wish I could do more to help.

Love,
Tina
Update: My relative did indeed die. From what everyone is saying he's in heaven now, singing heavenly praises to our lord. I am still amazed at this childish way of thinking of death.

1 comment:

tina FCD said...

Sorry to hear of your relative passing away.