Monday, December 29, 2008

Thank god!

Today I had a huge scare that caused me to invoke the name of the Christian god. You know, the one most of us (in the US anyway) grew up with.

My SO surprised me on Xmas with a beautiful pair of diamond encrusted 18K white gold earrings. For as nice and expensive as these earrings are the clasp leaves little to be desired; just a push of the front and the post snaps into the back. A little jostle is enough to cause the earring to snap out of the clasp and disappear. But I was sure I could keep track of them.

I decided to wear them today. This morning the temps were in the mid 40’s. I bundled up to take the dog for a walk with a scarf around my neck. I checked the earrings a couple of times so I was sure I got home with both on my ears. An hour later I paused in front of the mirror to arrange my hair in a ponytail and I was horrified to discover I had lost an earring.

Immediately I started to shake and whisper to myself, “Where could it be?” Over and over I wracked my brain trying to place where I could’ve knocked the earring off. In the span of about 45 seconds I raced to the closet where I had taken off my coat and scarf and looked on the floor. There it was, exactly where it should’ve been.

“Thank god” were the first words out of my mouth.

So why did I say that?

You have to understand, the earrings are special. I was so relieved to find them I would’ve thanked Zeus if that had been a common phrase of the moment.

So that’s it. It’s a common phrase with different meanings for different people. For me it was an expression of private relief. No gods were harmed or invoked.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I constantly invoke Jesus Christ when stubbing my toe.

Anonymous said...

It's just a saying. When someone sneezes you say God bless you, meaning: I wish you health. No actual belief in a deity is implied.

A Jewish-born atheist (Irving Berlin) wrote God Bless America. It wasn't about God, it was all about America. The God part was just an expression. In the same way that half the Brits who sing God Save The Queen don't actually believe there is a god listening to their exhortations.

Oz Atheist said...

Wow, glad you found the earring.

strange how we invoke non-existent beings like that. like you I still find myself doing that occasionally.

by the way - Happy New Year

tina FCD said...

Yes, I think most of us do. I laugh at myself when I say, "jesus!" Just a bad habit I have. :)

Karla said...

I think your heart was speaking. . .

The Super Sweet Atheist said...

Karla, it's a common phrase that I said in a moment of complete and utter relief. My heart wasn't speaking and the feelings weren't from there either.

Unknown said...

Just curious...why capitalize Christian?

The Super Sweet Atheist said...

Proper noun? Spell checker does it automatically?

I guess I haven't given it much thought.

Unknown said...

I've been reading your blog for a few months and have enjoyed the education. I hate that your family has treated/treats you as you say they do. It is certainly not the Christian way that I have been taught. But then again, there are extremes on both ends of everything, huh? Well, take care and I will come back around every now and again...