Monday, January 12, 2009

The Poor

I’ve been meaning to write more often in 2009 but the real world has been interrupting that goal. My ambition is to write at least 3 times a week with the intention of writing more.

Today I’m writing about poverty and what to do about it when it forces its way into your life.

A few days ago I was filling my car with gas at an Exxon station off the main freeway. It’s a busy place not only because of its location but it is also the location of a fast food burger joint. It was particularly busy that day and I was watchful of my self and of my purse in the front seat. A young woman who looked battered and poor approached me, getting too close to me for comfort. She proceeded to tell me her story, about how her husband had just beaten her and she was stranded there at the gas station in her car and two small children.

I was torn. Do I believe her and help her or what? I’ve been taken before in parking lot scams, not for a lot of money, but one doesn’t like to be taken advantage of. So that’s in the back of my mind. If her story is true what responsibility do I have as a fellow human being in helping her? How far do I go?

The two small children were in the car looking out at the scene. They were cute, clean, and looked to be in no danger. While I was trying to decide what to do this woman got even closer to me making me very, very uncomfortable. She was getting between me and my purse in the front seat. I had to act quickly.

Beggars used to be quite common in our city. It seems the trend is gaining ground lately so I keep a few one dollar bills in my ashtray to quickly hand out at stop lights. I took the opportunity to get in front of this woman to open my car door and get a few dollars for her. I grabbed three, handed them to her, and stated that that amount should help her get where she needed to be.

I know I’m a target. The bright red Porsche doesn’t help. Many of my friends are in similar situations so I’ve been asking what they would do if confronted with a poor, battered woman at a gas station. I was surprised at some of the answers. Many of my middle class friends would ignore the woman and hope that she walks away! Some would say they had nothing to give and hope that she walks away. I just couldn’t do that. With the little that I did do I felt guilty that I didn’t try harder to do more.

6 comments:

Sean Wright said...

was thinking that you could also have the phone number of a shelter in addition to a couple of dollars

The Super Sweet Atheist said...

That's not a bad idea. Thanks Sean!

Sean Wright said...

First ideas free. Might have to charge for any more - current financial woes you understand :)

Oz Atheist said...

If her story is true, you have to help. But that's the difficult part, is it true or are you just being scammed?

Some beggars are quite obvious, especially the young ones in Sydney, those I try and avoid.

tina FCD said...

I'm getting too hardened by all the crack heads in our town, I don't give any money, just help with a car that needs a push etc.

Unknown said...

If you are concerned for your safety, stop what you are doing, get into your car and leave. If it is just a question as to their authenticity, let your location make your decision for you. Grocery store...offer to buy some food; gas station...offer to buy some gasolene. If they are genuine, they will be happy with your offer.