Monday, January 19, 2009

Traveling to New Zealand

As I’m writing this we are making plans to visit New Zealand next month. My husband, the engineer, wants to check out the country with hopes of immigrating there in the near future. You see, he’s sure the US is going to hell in a hand basket very soon and he doesn’t want to be here when it happens.

I have a problem with this. I love living in Houston. I’ve been here for over 30 years and have acquired a lot of close and deep friendships. My life here is fun, exciting, comfortable, nice and wonderful. I don’t want to change something that I’ve worked hard to achieve.

On the other hand New Zealand is a wonderful place to live. My research has shown that the quality of life is high and that the people there are happy. I’ve looked into residential real estate in the Auckland area and the area around Russell and the prices seem high but reasonable for what one gets.

We’ll be leaving in mid-February and staying for a little over a week. My engineer husband seems to think that’s enough time to figure if we want to live there or not. I’m not so optimistic.

I welcome any comments about New Zealand anyone has for me. Thanks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

if NZ is so great how come so many of them move here to Aus? :)

The Super Sweet Atheist said...

I didn't know that? Why do they?

Anonymous said...

I've never been to NZ but everyone I know who has been really loves it. I suspect the pace of life is different from Texas. But see for yourself when you go.

I'm envious!

Sean Wright said...

Cold wet and windy and full of crazy kiwis. On the plus side not too many venemous critters

Protium the Heathen said...

As a Kiwi myself I am offended by the racist comments here ;)

As for what NZ is like... no idea I left in 1984. Back then it was a beautiful country. Auckland is quite busy and relatively warm but not my choice for a place to live. I found the South Island much nicer and more interesting, but that's just me.

One week isn't enough to take in New Zealand and Auckland is not very representative of the country. What a shame you can't travel around a bit. You can drive the entire length in a day and a half (just a touch of water in between the 2 major islands)

As for why Kiwis come to Oz... that's easy... to take jobs of the lazy Aussies ;)

Poodles said...

My BIL is trying to move there from Samoa. It isn't easy to immigrate there. Good luck on a tough decision.