Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day (yeah right!)

Just a few thoughts about the significance of this date. For me this is just another day that's been manufactured to separate me from my dollar. It's a great idea, no doubt, but I find it lacking in feeling and sentiment. Sure, we all love our significant others, but to designate one special day out of the year seems disingenuous. We already have special dates, like anniversaries and birthdays, so this seems excessive to the point of being disgusting. So this year Mr Squirrel and I agreed not to get each other cards or flowers and will have a nice evening together with a little wine and dinner. I will admit to making him a special dessert with cream, marshmallows, and pineapple but that's as sentimental as I'll get!

7 comments:

tina FCD said...

I think it's more for the younger people that are new in a relationship.

tina FCD said...

Spam sucks!

The Super Sweet Atheist said...

Fuckers! That's the first time I've been hit. I've deleted the offending comments and will keep vigilance on them in the future.

Anonymous said...

I read that the average Floridian spends $122.00 on St V's Day, because the cards and candy people have hyped it up so much. We don't do Hallmark holidays in this house so we ignored it and felt rather smug. we saved almost $250.00!

Tex's Missus said...

I agree completely Ms Squirrel; I posted something similar a few days before the nauseating day. Like Tina, I think the youngsters - my 15yo son made a special effort for his girlfriend and he received a lovely card and chocolates in return. Tex and I just let the day slide by :)

Sean Wright said...

I was away for valentines. I bought a lovely jewelery box from the Oxfam shop though.

The Super Sweet Atheist said...

I agree with tex's missus that this is a day for the young or newly in love. Mr. Squirrel and I pretty much skipped it and it didn't matter to the either of us.