Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Texas Primaries

I made up my mind a few days ago to go early to the polls to cast my vote for Barack Obama. I got up about an hour early, got coffee and let the dog out, then took a short drive to the school to vote. The polls opened at 7:00 am and at 7:05 there was already a long line for the Democratic voters. I got in line and surveyed the scene, wondering if I had enough time to do this before my morning activities. I could always come back later. Fortunately a woman about my age got in line behind me and we struck up a conversation.

It was really just small talk in hushed tones, we were in a library after all, until I mentioned that it was unusual for me to be in the majority this time. The last time I voted was against the proposition to outlaw same-sex marriages and I was absolutely sure I was in the minority that day. She said she felt the same that day and revealed that she is gay. She also shared her coming out story to her mother but stated that God had prepared her mother so she would be more accepting. It was very subtle when she said that in her position she really didn't take the idea of God too seriously.

Now usually when people mention God in any context my attention will sharpen. Atheists are good people and I think I'm a good example of a typical nonbeliever. When I get a chance to introduce myself as an atheist I do so with no apology.

After she mentions the problem with being gay and believing in a higher power I tell her that I understand because I had problems in my family when they found out I was an atheist. She laughed a little and said, "I bet your Mom would've much rather you'd been like me, huh?"

Actually I'm not sure Mom would've preferred a lesbian daughter to an atheist daughter but this wasn't the time or place to discuss it. We were about to be processed to vote and I didn't have the time to wait to finish the story. I told her how much I enjoyed talking to her and was happy to have had the opportunity to meet her.

I then voted for Barack Obama. It wasn't an easy choice for me. I really wanted to vote for a woman. I really tried to find a good reason to do so, but in the end I felt that Mr. Obama might have better plans for our country and the war in Iraq. I've been paying attention to what his goals are and they resonate with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a nice little conversation.

I try to detach from the fact I'm an atheist sometimes because I can create conflict with others just because of something different, so I am trying to look for similarities and put aside differences (i don't always succeed)

tina FCD said...

I used to feel funny if I mentioned I was an atheist, but now, I couldn't care less who knows. I kind of figured you were going to tell her you were an atheist. :)