Monday, July 28, 2008

Deleted a post

A few days ago I deleted an old post which I wrote about Tony Snow. The subject was how arrogant I found his claims of being blessed by God when others who suffered from cancer didn't get the same treatment as he claimed to have gotten from his god. The post gained a tremendous amount of attention from Christians who made outrageous statements about my atheism and how I really believed in God but was just angry, sad, pissed off, wanted to be immoral, etc. It was amazing how stupid the comments were getting. I exercised my free will and deleted the offending post. Good riddance, I say.

At this point in time in my atheism I'm not interested in finding God anymore. I've spent a large amount of time searching and he still hasn't turned up so I want to focus my attention to other things. I'm very interested in my Freethought groups here in the Houston area and have gotten to know a lot of wonderful atheists. I also am involved the the Humanists of Houston and want to be more active in my community on a secular level. So far my activism has been to educate my friends what an atheist is and that they have been playing tennis with one for many years. The response has been positive.

To the Christians out there who think atheists are mad at God and that's why we don't believe, you are so wrong it's not even funny. We don't believe because there is no evidence. Nothing, nada, zilch, zero. Accept it and move on. Let's talk about other things like abortion rights and poverty. How about the Iraqi war and the economy? I want to talk about things that matter in this life right here and right now.

I'm still frustrated about my trip to Kansas and how I didn't seem to get anywhere with my family. Not that I expected anything, but I had hoped that things would go better. My mother and I have never had a connection which I now see on so many levels that, even though I gave up on her long ago, there is still no chance we will ever find common ground. At one time I had hoped that my sister and I could be friends but, for many of the same reasons, I don't ever see that ever happening. Both women are too judgmental, too sensitive, and too defensive for me to want to be around them for any length of time.

Funny thought: I wonder what they think of me?

I think I already know....

2 comments:

DB said...

This is a pretty interesting post. While it would be easy for me to encourage you to move on without your family, it is one thing to actually do so. While I don't know your situation, it is easy to assume based on other posts. Disagreements of this nature seem so much worse when you realize they are rejecting your views for no more reason than they accept their own. I hope that makes sense. Either way, sometimes family is best found amongst good friends and community. If they are willing to reject family based on such beliefs, are those beliefs you would want to have anyways?

tina FCD said...

"Both women are too judgmental, too sensitive, and too defensive for me to want to be around them for any length of time."

Holy moley, that sounds like my mom and sister.