Wednesday, May 2, 2007

commenting on a commenter

A commenter recently stated:

"I don't mean to judge/criticise your mum, but christianity does not treat colored with inferiority. If anything, we r called to be treat everyone as equals."

This is the classic case of the atheist knowing the bible better that the christian. Don't these people read their handbook? I get really pissed when I get these kinds of arrogant and ignorant comments.

Another thing that always bothered me growing up in a christian environment is the way women are treated in the bible. My mom used to comment all the time about how women really aren't supposed to be teachers and should always obey their husbands no matter what. Huh? Yeah, that was something this little girl didn't want to be part of. I had high aspirations of becoming an engineer and competing with men on equal terms. According the bible I was not allowed to do that, and I learned this from my mother. BTW, my mother thinks she a christian and, in my eyes, that makes her a christian.

Here's a great article written by Sam Harris on the treatment of women as property in the modern world in accordance with various holy writs.

4 comments:

Sean Wright said...

But Summer,

That's the part of the bible we choose to ignore darling, frankly it makes us look so first century ;).

Yulacu said...

Didn't you get the memo? The entire Bible is the infallible word of God, but it's perfectly okay to cherry-pick the verses we like over those that we don't.

The Super Sweet Atheist said...

Damn, I missed that one......

tina FCD said...

Yeah, I don't get that "cherry picking" crap!