Friday, July 20, 2007

High praise for "Infidel"

I finished "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali last night. Excellent book which I highly recommend. She gives the reader an education into the mind of a devout Muslim and the acrobatics they have to do in order to get thru the day. Like Christians, they are born sinners and feel guilty whenever an impure thought crosses their minds. But unlike Christianity, they take the scriptures to submit to Allah (which is Arabic for God) very, very seriously. It's no wonder their societies are so uncivilized: they are still living in the dark ages of religious tyranny. Christianity went thru its reformation about two hundred years ago (sorry, don't have the exact date) whereas Islam has yet to go thru this important transformation. According to the author, it's unlikely that will happen in the near future because of the strict adherence to the Koran the Prophet Mohammed requires of the faithful and the unwillingness to seek a better way. It's all about power and control, just as it is with Christianity. Although Ayaan's pathway to atheism was different and far more difficult than mine, it takes on more meaning when one realizes that she is continually hunted by fundamental Muslims because their holy book, the Koran, states that the apostate must be killed. As with me, Ayaan saw that reason, reality, and rationality make it impossible to acknowledge a merciful higher power that would allow such atrocities.

As a voracious reader, and since I've recent increased my library considerable, I started reading another book this morning. The book is "God is not Great: How religion poisons everything" by Christopher Hitchens. Before starting this book I viewed many of his appearances on TV (YouTube) promoting his book. So far he's gotten great reviews and has been warmly received by most interviewers. His arguments are valid and strong. After reading the first chapter I must say that, even if you don't agree with his views or the subject, you'd have to admire his writing style. It is eloquent and beautiful, the prose flows effortlessly and invokes vividly imagery. I have read a lot of books, from fiction to biographies to non-fiction, and this is one of the best written works I've had the honor to read.

2 comments:

Sean Wright said...

I too quite like Infidel, in fact its the first biography I have ever read.

She was /is a very brave woman.

Tommykey said...

I started reading it again yesterday. I was on the train home and the man seated next to me looked Indian or was possibly Pakistani.

Anyway, in my peripheral vision, it seemed as if was taking some interest in what I was reading. Not knowing if he was a Muslim, I felt a bit uncomfortable. Finally, at the midway point on the trip home, he asked me "Excuse me, is that book about Muslims?"

I gave him a rather curt "No" and mumbled something about it being her remembrances of her life. I didn't want to say yes, because if he was a Muslim, I really wasn't in the mood to argue with him. Whatever he was, he left me alone after that.