Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Satan's death count

No one in my family offered Satan's death tally, but I wanted to get that number out there before they did just to prove the atheist is a better bible scholar than they are. I succeeded. Satan killed 10 of Job's children as part of a wager with his friend, God. That's it! Only 10 against God's millions.

I was also engaged in a discussion with a fundy cousin about the problem of evil when suddenly she states:
My faith has been formed over my lifetime through exposure to a lot of Christians through sermons, retreats, books, etc. However, the most important part of my faith is my personal relationship with God. I know you do not believe in Him, but I know Him, talk to Him, and hear from Him.

That was it. Fini. No more discussion. Weird.

I emailed more about how the problem of evil is even harder to understand when taking into consideration the innocent children around the world that suffer horrible diseases and God doesn't stop this from happening. No comment from anyone. I guess the word is out to ignore the atheist relative who is working for the devil. Sad, I think.

Then out of the blue my mother writes:
This is what my old Baptist preacher told me one time. He said that God doesn't let bad things happen. Just have faith, wonderful faith and I pray for those that don't have it.
She hasn't been paying attention and it frustrated me. I know my fundy relatives are all nodding their heads in agreement because they don't think to look at the suffering others are exposed to in the world. Here in Houston a teenager recently committed suicide. Story here. In anger I sent that article along with that stupid quote to everyone in my family last night. Again, nothing.

I'm not ready to give up the good fight just yet.

1 comment:

Yulacu said...

To believe that an all powerful benevolent being either can't or wont assist those in need is contradictory on several levels. Enough said.