Sunday, January 13, 2008

Came out to a friend

Last night Mr. Squirrel and I went out to dinner with friends. Granted, these friends aren't your usual Houston fair, she is a professional involved in a family medical business and he's a corporate lawyer. They are both Catholic and both Republican.

After a few glasses of red wine our lawyer friend starts talking about the religious right. In the middle of a sentence he remembers that he really doesn't know how religious we are and asks. I assure him he's doing alright and he proceeds with his part of the conversation. A few minutes later I approach him and tell him that not only am I not religious but I'm an atheist. He's a little surprised and even said he wasn't aware of my non-belief. Then with a quick smile he leaned into me and said "Give me a few minutes and I'll make you a Catholic!" I smiled back and said, "I doubt that but you're probably closer to me than you think!"

Then the evening went on as if nothing spectacular happened.

I think I'm going to do this more often. The secret is the timing!

3 comments:

Sean Wright said...

My wife just likes to blurt out the fact that I am an athiest - not very subtle sometimes.

She also loves to tell everyone the "ants in the pants" story".

The Super Sweet Atheist said...

Ants in the pants? You must share!

My husband has done this too. After the first time (with dirty look) I gave him permission to tell anyone he wanted. In a free country I shouldn't have to hide my atheism....

Sean Wright said...

I will write a post about it - I thought I had actually. Its a painful story that will reduce my wife to tears of laughter when see tells it - you know when someone laughs so hard they can't breathe.