Monday, July 6, 2009

Email problems

I have some pet-peeves about email etiquette. I hate those emails that people just forward to another person or group of people without a personal message. It's lazy, rude and thoughtless. What's wrong with a simple cut-and-paste with a simple explanation why this particular forwarded email was important to you and/or why it should be important to me? Another big pet-peeve for me is spelling, grammar, sentence structure, and capitalization. Most of the time I can't make heads or tails of an email that someone just puts together as if it tumbled from one's head. And what's up with all-caps? To me that shouts out about that person, "Look! I'm a religious idiot!" Unfortunately, some of my crazy fundie relatives think that typing in all-caps is especially important or something. They won't stop even when proper email etiquette is explained to them. I know because I've tried.

With that being said, today I got two email forwards from a person I barely know with links to a "global-warming is a hoax" website and a right-wing political website. This person did not include any explanations for sending this email to me and it was a forward of a forward of a forward! Being that I've finally gotten my family to stop sending this crap to me I was a bit annoyed that now I've got this shit being sent to me by someone I barely know.

So I decided to write an email to this person and I choose to try to make it as non-confrontational as possible. This is what I sent:
Dear [person I barely know],

I appreciate you forwarding these emails to me but I'd like to request that you take me off this email list. I am already inundated with similar emails from family members so I already have enough to read.

Thanks,
Tina Marie

No reply as of yet but I'll keep you posted.

Update: Got this today:
So sorry. I'll be happy to do that.

Which I responded thusly:
Thanks for understanding.

Have a great day!
Tina
End of story.

5 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I was updating some friends and family on a serious health issue a friend was going through, heart disease diagnosis at the age of 38. One friend responded with a pitch for Juice Plus+, a multi level marketing thing she does. I have no idea how I will respond.

The Super Sweet Atheist said...

Mike: Probably not responding might be the best idea. If it's bothering you saying something short and tactful is the way to go.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I was just taken aback. I know she's really only sharing about it because she passionately believes in the "life changing product", but it just came off as completely tactless. I have ignored other mentions of Juice Plus+ before. I think this time I will respond.

I'm curious to see if you get a response.

The Super Sweet Atheist said...

Hi Mike: I added a note at the end of the post about the response I got from this person. It was a very low key apology and statement of removal. I wrote a short note thanking her for understanding. Case closed. I hope you have a similar experience with this lady.

BTW, I have friends that sell this stuff too. I get free samples and ignore them. The stuff is pretty good with a little vodka in it.

Cheers!

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Vodka?!?!? Sinner!!! ;-)