Thursday, July 30, 2009

I'm pissed off, but why?

I'm pissed off at my family on Facebook, but I suspect I shouldn't be. I responded to a relative's post about her being against gay couples adopting children. I did it in a positive way by commenting that I know of gay couples that have healthy, well adjusted children just as I know straight couples with children who have turned out to be terrible people. It stayed on her post for a few minutes before she deleted it and that's what pissed me off.

But I also understand that she can't handle an opposing view because of her religious beliefs. I also understand that it's her right to delete said opposing views if she feels she doesn't want anyone to view it or if it offends her. She also has the right to ignore me and/or delete me if she feels it's the correct thing to do for her. I understand all that; what bothers me is that she can't handle it.

Fortunately I also have that right. I went the other post of hers that I responded to, the one about her opposition to abortion, and deleted my comments from it. I suppose she won't notice but it did make me feel better. Now she won't be offended by my words about how education is important to reduce the amount of abortions in our country and how I find life just as precious as she does.

arrgghh....

3 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Well, now I'm pissed off on your behalf. When people blatantly choose ignorance it really pisses me off.

The Super Sweet Atheist said...

Thanks for your feeling Mike. I've decided not to engage with her anymore. But I've also noticed that my other relatives don't comment on my posts because they know the shit storm it'll cause from my 200+ humanist friends. I do get some pleasure from that...

tina FCD said...

Ooo..
And you know what, it's the belief that I don't understand, not the person. I mean, I like my sister and she's a christian, but the belief is out there.