Saturday, July 4, 2009

My encounter with a Christian

A few days ago we had dinner with a Sam and Judy. My husband has a professional relationship with Sam.

They came by our house first for a few drinks and snacks before we took off for a restaurant. Judy was very nice and sweet with a cute smile and pleasant personality. We hit it off very quickly but soon the conversation turned to a personal tragedy in her young life. She tells me that during this tragedy she speaks to God and the things he said to her in response. About this time I'm thinking, "Oh shit! This woman is nuts." Honestly, I don't remember much more of what she said. She dominated the conversation and continued to giggle while telling me this terrible thing that happened to her and what God told her throughout this ordeal. It was surreal.

She never asked me about my beliefs and I guess she assumed that I shared hers. Well, maybe she didn't make that assumption and decided to tell me her testimony anyway. Whatever it was I was still very, very uncomfortable.

Over the next few days I thought about what would I do different the next time I find myself in that situation. Actually, what I'd really like to know is would a Christian appreciate being told that the person she is telling this kind of story to is an atheist or at least someone who doesn't share her views? Would it be rude or kind to interrupt and inform this Christian that I am not a Christian?

Note added July 5: I found out later that my husband told the husband of this woman that I'm an atheist. I wonder if we'll get invited out to dinner again. My guess is probably not. We'll see.

3 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

As you know, I have friends who talk about God and their belief in their interactions with him. They are some of my oldest and closest friends. I listen to what they say and see the results in their lives, and try not to disrespect them, but I can't help but think it's all placebo.

I once told a theist friend to try praying to a rock and he would see identical random results as if he had prayed to YHWH. That pretty much ended the conversation.

Fortunately it usually doesn't go far beyond "God is good" and similar short statements.

Nicholas said...

I know it's not an original thing to say, but Christians are always very eager to share their views with you, but are not remotely interested in sharing yours.

tina FCD said...

Now that is funny!