Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Frustrated with Facebook

Actually, I absolutely love Facebook. It's been a great way to get in touch and keep in touch with old and new friends. My frustration is that I'm unable to express myself as an atheist because I want to be sensitive to my theist friends, of which I have many. I've been able to only express myself to other atheist friends because I can control what gets displayed on my wall.

Since I feel strongly about not offending any Christian feelings I've decided this blog is the best place for me to rant and perhaps talk to other atheist friends who feel the same way. Even if that doesn't happen I already feel a sense of peace about being able to put my feelings into this blog.

One thing I am doing on Facebook is posting articles/links about subjects on science and politics. Not inflammatory things like whether Palin is a liar or not, but subjects that can open the mind and cause people to think a little. My compass is what would my mother deem unoffensive and post only those links. It's also helping me to be a better person to think about the feelings of those who can't handle the whole truth about a controversial subject.

I feel a bit of sadness having to censure myself. I'm one of those persons that has a very light filter and is honest to a fault about my feelings. As a result the super-religious people in my life feel they can't trust me not to say anything derogatory about their collective worldviews. It might be their loss but I feel everyone loses when opinions are stifled because some subjects are taboo to discussion.

8 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I try to do the same thing, and also post articles about religious topics my religious friends would find extreme and offensive as well.

Sean Wright said...

What about a heart felt letter, post that you can direct them to from your face book page, explaining you position.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Good idea, Sean. Here's mine from February 2008.

Why I no longer consider myself a Christian or even a theist.

Had a few negative reactions, but most were positive, inquisitive, and supportive. Of course, I don't have any real hardcore fundies in my life.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

And me with my brilliant memory. ;-)

Tina was actually one of the early commenters.

Nicholas said...

You must be a nicer person than I am. I just don't care if I offend them! maybe not having any religious people in my family makes a difference.

The Super Sweet Atheist said...

Mike, I like your idea of writing a letter to send to certain people. Perhaps I'll get a rough draft out very soon, it feels like the right thing to do now.

Tommykey said...

I can relate. I am on Facebook too. And while I indicate in my profile I am an atheist, I don't really touch on religion all that much. Sometimes I really have to bite my tongue when I read comments on the posts of other friends, particularly my wife's Filipino relatives, where someone brings up god nonsense. And like you wrote, my blog is the place to vent about such things.

tina FCD said...

I usually post links..I really don't care anymore what people think. :P