Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Coming out as an Atheist

Because I come from a fundamentally Christian family being an atheist has been difficult. When I finally came out many were not surprised, but a few reacted by disowning me and ending all communication. Also the reverse has happened as I've had to end relationships that I could no longer sustain. I knew these people would not understand and would go out of their way to try to prove their unsupportable positions. These are people who are not intelligent enough to get the information and argue from a knowledgeable position. For example one of these people still believes tyrannosauruses still walk the earth. I have neither the time nor energy to be friends with stupid people like this.

Before I came out officially I made sure I was educated enough in the art of debate with Christians and had most of the proper answers to the most common of arguments. There are tons of reference material on the Internet. At first I read as many ex-testimonials as I could find. A good place to start is at exchristian.net. Another excellent reference sites are here and here.

Many of us use biblical references to prove our points. This is very rewards because of the contradictory nature of the bible. My favorite is Skeptic's Annotated Bible / Quran (Koran) / Book of Mormon. I've also used many of the bible resources that Christians use such as BibleGateway.com.

I like to listen to podcasts and the two best ones on the Web are The Atheist Experience and The Non-Prophets.

Here is a list of other podcasts I listen to.

Good luck!

2 comments:

tina FCD said...

I bookmarked all of them! Thanks, I need all the help I can get!

Sean Wright said...

Thankyou for the links