Saturday, April 7, 2007

Email from mom

On Friday I received an email from my Mom opening with these words:

Jesus is no longer in the grave! Our God is not a God of the dead, but a God of the living! Our Lord and Savior rose from the dead! He is risen! Do you not wish to shout it from the rooftops? He is risen! God Bless You!

The subject reads: "Friday is here, but Sunday is coming!!!" I'm the first on the "send to" list. She knows I'm an atheist yet still sends me this garbage.

The only way to deal with Christians like this is to reply back with kind, but firm words that support an atheist's viewpoint. I answer:

Dear Mom,

Thanks for the card and wishing us a Happy Easter. DH and I are not Christians and have no reason to celebrate. To us it's just another Sunday with great food!

Love,
squirrel

She's trying to make me see that all is not lost. She replies:

Your welcome. Just wanted you to know that I do think of you very often and wish the best for my children. Charlie and I pray for all our children, together every night.

Love you,
Mama

Charlie is her new husband. She's made no attempt for me to get to know him. It's a long story but she lives in KS now and I have no reason to visit. Anyway, the prayer thing is a common Christian copout that basically means "I care for you." It's annoying because there's no action in it. It's lazy and yet Christians think it raises their concern beyond normal caring because of god. To me it's just gross. So I answer back:

Dear Mom,

You don't have to pray for me. I have the very best life can offer and am in a very peaceful place. I know you pray because you care and that's important. I would rather you call me and actually talk to me instead of praying for me. I'm sorry, but I'm not impressed with the power of prayer; talking to a person is far more powerful.

I choose to do things for people I care about because actions speak much louder than words, which I'm sure you would agree.

Love,
squirrel

So far, no answer back. Not that I expect one. I think this one went straight over her head.

2 comments:

tina FCD said...

I just don't understand religious people pushing their religion on others. I'm sorry you have to deal with this stuff. If my mom decided she wanted to be on line I'm sure I would get these e-mails also. We get along great but she feels the need to write our names on a piece of paper and put them in her bible, and pray for us. I'm sure when my family members come across my posts or my blog on 360 I will get it with both guns! lol!

The Super Sweet Atheist said...

This kind of behavior make her feel good because she's made an effort to give me the "good news" about Christ. The rest is now up to me to choose to accept or reject. It's really creepy.

Thanks for your concern, Tina. It used to bother me but now it's just sad. The best way for me to counter this behavior is to reply in an intelligent, thoughtful fashion to show that I'm sincere.