Monday, June 11, 2007

Letter to my mother

A few days ago I get an email from my mother. As you can see, she's not dealing with the real world:

Us, as God Fearing people should continue to support the troops and not get any bad vibes out where they can see the negative things being said about our government. I think prayer is the only answer!!!


I get this message and I think, WTF! I have to respond to this. My answer follows:

I have to respond to your statement about prayer being the only answer. This is hugely incorrect. There are many things we can do to show our support for our troops. For example, a cousin is doing his part by making us aware of how wrong this war is, to end it now, and to bring our troops home. It is abundantly obvious that prayer is not working in this case. Or maybe those prayers are not being answered because the Judeo/Christian/Islamic God really does want a war there as many Christians believe. In other words, God is listening and answering someone else's prayers. (Matthew 21:22) Damn, my head is hurting just thinking of this. How do you guys do it?

Anyway, I'm doing my part by helping to raise our collective consciousness to encourage each of us to vote with our intellect and not our "feelings." I actively write our representatives in government and our president (by email, of course) to show support or concern for social and civil issues which may or may not be up for vote.

Hugs,
Summer


I forwarded this to other members of our extended family and I have yet to hear from anyone. Do you suppose that I'm being ignored? Just ignore the atheist and she'll go away? Not a chance!

5 comments:

tina FCD said...

How come you get all the good e-mails? My family either doesn't know I'm atheist or just doesn't want to bring it up. Not sure yet. But one family member has internet now and she will probably find me on 360 or blogger. Oh well...we'll see.

Are those e-mail sent in bulk? All at one time to family members? Wouldn't she at least leave your e-mail address out of those kind of e-mails?

The Super Sweet Atheist said...

Hi tina,

My mother sends those emails to me for several reasons. She wants to include me in the family, or in other words, she doesn't want to look like she's excluding me. The religious content is just the way she communicates, which is annoying to me and I'm sure she knows it. She also wants to prove a point (Christianity) and she really doesn't think her emails sound crazy. She thinks she's on the high ground here and that I'm just full of it. Unfortunately, with this audience, she's right and I'm wrong.

A couple of years ago my emails really used to get the family angry, but now they seem to ignore me. I'll post another letter tomorrow which I hope will get some responses.

I just love it that the family reads my email and prays for my hell-bound soul. Oh, they are having a huge family reunion next week (I'm not going) which I'm hope I'm the topic of discussion. Anything to get a small idea of dissent put into someone's head.

Toni said...

My family doesn't talk to me about religion any more. Probably for the best...

The Super Sweet Atheist said...

Hi Poodles Rule,

I think this is where my family is coming from. They tried briefly to "correct" my thinking when I disappeared for a while only to come back more informed. Since their crazy beliefs can't possibly survive the scrutiny they don't provoke me anymore. I'm damn disappointed!

I'm surprised they haven't tried a spiritual intervention on me.

Summer

tina FCD said...

I might be back later asking for advice on how to handle religious family members.