Monday, June 18, 2007

More thoughts about Christianity

The fact that I can criticize Christianity and the fact that Christians normally get defensive about it is one proof that there is no Christian God. Let me explain. If Christianity were the One True Religion then it wouldn't be possible to criticize it and it wouldn't be possible to have to defend it. God, being 3-omni, could've made his favorite religion, one that his "son" died for, a perfect institution. The fact that it can be criticized means that it is imperfect and behaves like a man-made myth.

I get this defensiveness all the frickin' time from my relatives. It's fun because it's easy to get them riled up, but it's also sad because it means that their way of thinking is illogical. And this illogical thinking does spill into their everyday lives.

My sister is prime example of someone who chooses not to get it. She's a very intelligent woman and is responsible for many people at the place where she works. But, in my experience with her in regards to religion, she closes off the rational part of her world and engages with defensiveness that is totally unattractive for someone of her education. It looks to me as if she's anticipating a reward for being so obtuse. She admits to not ever reading the Bible but will defend it unquestionably. It so boggles my mind that I'm having problems thinking of her in this way, as a fundamentalist. I discovered this about her when another fundy relative attacked me via email and she refused to defend me, her sister. It hurt because she allowed and rationalized someone attacking me (calling me names to other family members) and did nothing to stop it.

Fucking Christianity!

No comments: