Friday, January 1, 2010

I don't do resolutions...

I've done the New Year's resolutions thing before and I'm sometimes successful at keeping them. But several years ago I decided not to make them anymore but to live each day fully and happily with some rules to help me along the way.


Rules of Tina:



I conduct my life in a way I don't have to tell lies about myself.


I organize my day every morning and try to get all my errands done in a timely way.


I am considerate of the hard work my husband puts into each day and try to make it easy for him once he gets home. This means keeping track of all the bills, maintaining a clean house, meeting him at the door with a smile when he comes home, keeping him fed with food he likes, not being a bitch and no nagging. I also don't allow him to be bitchy or to nag. We have an agreement about such things and it's worked for a long time.


Keeping the above statement in mind but also doing this for my general well being I keep myself in relatively good shape. This means I maintain a certain weight. I don't over indulge or drink too much, although I do have a glass of wine almost every night.


I am a good friend. I listen and try not to ramble on about my own personal life. I try not to complain as I hate to hear when others do. I ask questions and engage in a caring and thoughtful way. Most important is to make eye contact and be agreeable when I agree and be respective when I don't.


When I'm wrong about something I immediately will correct myself. If someone points out my mistake I am grateful and will acknowledge that person. This particular rule I am most proud of. I've learned so much about myself and about the world around me. Unfortunately I've found that most people do not share this quality and it's caused me some sadness over the years.


This list is far from perfect but it works well for me and those around me. There is only so much one can do to maintain a healthy relationship with others and sometimes it's best to let go. Letting go is the hard part. I'm still working on that.

1 comment:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I don't do resolutions either, but I'm also terrible at keeping up with many of the things you mention.