Friday, January 22, 2010

Slap in the face

Not really, but I suppose that's what my super-duper crazy religious relative would like for me to think it is.

She dumped me. That's right, yesterday's post was about my super-duper crazy relative who is ultra sensitive and couldn't handle a comment from a different point of view and deleted the whole post. Then soon after she defriended me and blocked me.

Perhaps I let my guard down and felt that my relative liked me in spite of my irreligiosity. I made a comment I shouldn't have made and deserved what I got. I think that's what a few of my other religious relatives are thinking, if they know and have noticed the events that have come to past. Yeah, that's it, I should've known better.

But there's a double standard that I'm not used to. If you do something then it's OK for me to do the same, right? For example: we play nicey, nicey for a few days with an unspoken understanding that we don't talk about politics or religion. You also know that most people will agree with you and you feel very righteous about your position. I, on the other hand, am in the minority. I have different views and feel just as strongly as you do, which is why we have this unholy alliance between us. But suddenly something happens and you forget yourself and you say something political or religious. Do I now have the right to post or comment a dissenting view?

Of course not!

Now it just sounds silly, doesn't it? But this is the way my religious relatives play. I'm fine to have minimal contact with but once I voice an opinion that is (gasp!) different or thought provoking then all bets are off and I get ignored or blocked.

Unfortunately they, my super-duper religious relatives, are out-of -touch with the real world. They only watch Fox News and think that the religious right is looking after their interests. Anyone with a differing POV is considered the enemy who they are encouraged not to listen to. This is how my religious relatives treat me. I try to educated them with news about the Texas State Board of Education and the damage they are doing to our curriculum and I get totally ignored. I post a cute animal video or pictures and they comment about that.

I don't mention this to my husband very often. I tend to suffer in silence. When I do tell him about my frustration he shakes his head and says something negative about the intelligence that super-duper crazy religious people tend to exhibit. He's right. Intelligent people want to engage and be stimulated. They want their views to be challenged. Super-duper crazy religious people don't.

3 comments:

tina FCD said...

*sigh*
Will it EVER end, Tina?

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I keep expecting some of my fundie friends to unfriend me, but so far none of them have. I really only have two who are the jingoistic, xenophobic, Fox News, Bible (not God) worshiping types and they are both classmates from my days at an Evangelical Friends college years ago.

tina FCD said...

Yeah, on facebook I have sisters, brother-in-laws, nieces, nephews etc. I think they are all religious. Needless to say, not many of them go to my page but I didn't friend most of them anyway. :)