Monday, March 19, 2007

Death, heaven, and Atheism.

Several weeks ago my mother and I had a strange conversation about my atheism. It was our first and only. She didn't ask about my journey or how I came to not believe, she was more concerned about my beliefs of the afterlife and asked as to where I thought my father was. Dad died September 2004 after fighting lung cancer for 5 short months. According to an arrangement my parents made in advance, he was cremated and placed in a small black box. Mom lovingly kept his remains in a wooden chest in her living room which I thought was comforting for her. So when she asked me where I thought my Dad was I truthfully replied that he was in her living room.

That upset her greatly, and it should have. She wasn't concerned at all about me but about where I thought my wonderful father was residing at this moment. Again she asked but wording the question differently, "That's not what I mean! Do you think your Dad is in heaven?" I calmly replied he is dead and that he didn't exist anymore; that there was no heaven.

With the knowledge I have gotten from much research about Christianity I shouldn't have been surprised at her outburst and total lack of concern for me. It is all about them and about the rewards after death. What a creepy way to live one's life!

This essentially was my "coming out" to my mother and it was uplifting for me, but I have to admit I was disappointed, although not surprised, that she didn't ask better questions. She's never wanted to know much about me which is a source of much frustration on my part. One thing that did surprise her is how well I knew the bible. In the context of this particular conversation I wasn't able to tell her why, only that I did know it better than her. (When I brought up the morality of the OT she said that Jesus stated that we don't have to abide by the OT and I corrected her. She said that I was taking that verse out of context. Figures. That old pat answer.) That's when she questioned me about my Dad. I so wanted to tell her about my search for God and how I never found him. I wanted her to know that I didn't make this decision suddenly and without much thought. I wanted her to know how much happier I am now that the threats and promises of eternal torment no longer haunt me. Unfortunately for me, she'll never be in a place where she will want to hear me. She never has and never will.

More on this later.

2 comments:

tina FCD said...

That's a sad story.

Sean Wright said...

I have been reasonably obvious with my Parents about my Atheism, they are catholic and I have on several occasions worn my "godless" shirt and cap around them. Different country, different era.

Sorry about the relationship(on this topic) that you have not got with your mother.